Friday, February 20, 2015

My Stats at Goodreads.com

I didn’t think I needed an account at Goodreads because my TBR list is huge and I never wonder what to read next. Still, I’m glad a friend invited me to join because I love the stats. It appeals to the OCD in me to know how many books I’ve read (955 since 1986), in which genres, and by whom they were written.

It took me several months to enter my reading log, but now it’s finally done. I had no idea that I had read so much non-fiction (largely due to my early parenting days when I read voraciously on raising kids and on homeschooling.) In the last decade I’ve switched to literary classics and in the last five years I’ve added WWII memoirs.

I was surprised to see that my most read author was George MacDonald (20). I binged on his books in the ‘80s. Other authors, like C.S. Lewis (13 titles) and G.K. Chesterton (11) have been read sporadically about every other year or so during the last 3 decades. Elizabeth Goudge came in at 11 novels. Jan Karon at 10. Rumer Godden and Charles Dickens at 7.

By the end of this year I’ll have read 1,000 books! Anyone else enjoying Goodreads?





5 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE Goodreads! :) That is neat that you can track stuff! Where did you find that? :) I'd love to be your "friend" over there...under Worthwhile books? :)

hopeinbrazil said...

Amy, When you are signed into Goodreads, you click on "my books" in the tool bar. On the next screen there are a lot of options on the left. Near the bottom is "tools" and under that is your shelf cloud and stats.

Unknown said...

Thank you! :)

Jan said...

GoodReads is great! =D I still keep a print TBR list but am thinking about switching to only GR since their phone app is so convenient & you can rank books for the order you want to read them.

Heather said...

I haven't used Goodreads for very long, I started using Library Thing first as my database, but decided to go ahead and try GR for the social part.
1,000 books is fantastic! I read the Michael Phillips versions of George MacDonald many years ago and have borrowed them from my mom to reread again. I haven't made it very far, but I was eyeing them up this week, so perhaps I will start this weekend.