Friday, January 10, 2014

Resources for Scripture Saturation

I wrote earlier that one of my goals for the New Year was to read the Bible from cover to cover. Since then I've seen many resources that would be helpful for those who are wanting to get more Scripture into their hearts and minds this year. My sister wrote of a plan for reading the Bible in 90 days. (15 chapters a day). An article at Gospel Coalition talked about how reading the Bible intensely changes your thinking. (Mr. Carter recommends reading a Bible book 20 times before going on to the next book.) A whole lot of Bible reading plans are listed at Ligonier Ministries.

Finally, ChristianAudio.com is offering the ESV Bible as its free audiobook this month.

The basic way to read the Bible in one year is three chapters a day and five on Sunday. Since I sometimes miss a day, I'm shooting for five chapters every day. And because of the articles mentioned above (and especially the one I wrote of in a previous post), I'm trying to do ten chapters a couple of times per week. This way I hope to read the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice. AND with the audio Bible, I may even "read" the whole thing one more time. I'm not doing this because I'm "super spiritual".  On the contrary, I'm doing this in the hopes of growing in my faith and in my understanding of God's matchless word.

You didn't start on January 1st? Not a problem. It's never too late to start reading Scripture.

No comments: