Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Recommendations for Lesser-Known Christmas Movies

We all know the classic Christmas films: It's a Wonderful Life (1946), A Christmas Story (1983), White Christmas (1954), Miracle on 34th Street (1947), etc. From quotes I've seen on facebook, Elf (2003) seems to be an up and coming contender too.

But I'm wondering about some of your favorites that might be less famous. . .

I enjoy the Christmas scenes in You've Got Mail and in While Your Were Sleeping. I also prefer the lesser-known Holiday Inn (1942) to it's successor, White Christmas. Another obscure film with a Christmas scene is Four Jills in a Jeep (1944) about WWII entertainers. Robert Mitchum is so romantic in Holiday Affair. (1949) Finally, The Nativity Story (2006) is a new favorite of ours.

What are some suggestions you have for films that put you in a holiday mood?


3 comments:

Beth said...

I just bought Four Jacks and Jill for my daughter for Christmas now I'll have to wait until after Christmas to watch it!

I love Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck and The Great Rupert also called The Christmas Wish is a cute Christmas film.

Becky said...

I recommend Bachelor Mother (Ginger Rogers) and Bundle of Joy (Debbie Reynolds).

bookwormans said...

I just saw "Holiday Inn" for the first time this year and loved it! My family also really enjoys "Scrooge" (1970 starring Albert Finney). It is a musical in the tradition of "Oliver!".