Thursday, April 25, 2013

5th Year Blogiversary


Gulp! I just realized I've been blogging for five years.  I had planned to do a special post on the momentous occasion, but life got busy and the date slipped by.  I will make amends by citing a few statistics that I find interesting.

I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I don't care if people read my blog or not.  Yet I never purposely choose a book just because it will increase traffic.  I read what I like and at the same time I endeavor to point people to the best books.  (It's been a wonderful treat to have my readers point me toward great books as well.)

Now for the statistics. . . The five most popular posts in the past five years.  C.S. Lewis' The Horse and His Boy wins hands down with 4,000 views; my second most viewed post is Tolkien's The Two Towers. But would you believe my third most popular post is on Aesop's Fables? Fourth comes a WWII classic called Code Name Nimrod and finally the YA title The Wednesday Wars.

I am astonished that some of my more obscure posts receive comments (Kathleen Norris & I Saw Two Englands) and I puzzle over the fact that my rave reviews (Wind in the Willows) get little or no commentary.  It keeps me in a pleasant state of wonder.

I appreciate that blogging gives me a platform for sharing my love of literature; secondarily it provides me with a delicious sort of accountability - I'm "forced" to keep reading and writing on a consistent basis and I feel stretched and nourished in new ways every week.





5 comments:

Annette said...

Congratulations on 5 years of blogging and reviewing books.
I too am amazed sometimes at the flow of traffic towards certain books. Sometimes books that I gushed over and loved got little attention. Books are personal and each person sees something else.
Thank you.

Anna said...

Happy blogiversary!! :)

Carol in Oregon said...

I'm exceedingly glad that you blog. You consistently point me in good directions.

Thank you! Congratulations!

Susanna said...

Although I rarely leave a comment, I consistently read your blog--it's one of my favorites!

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing your books with us. I don't know how long I have been reading your blog but it has been several years and I always enjoy it.