Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay is the third book in the adrenaline-pumping trilogy, The Hunger Games.  If you read my review of Catching Fire, you know I was miffed at a heroine who didn’t seem to know her heart; so I began this final installment with only mild enthusiasm.

The Capitol is the ruthless government that has established the hunger games. In this book Katniss is appointed as (symbolic) leader of the people’s rebellion against President Snow and his “peacekeepers.” Katniss plans to kill Snow but because of a series of surprising twists, things don’t turn out quite as she imagined.   

A few cliches made me wince: “If looks could kill,” “He had my back,” and a reference to someone going “ballistic.”  And this book was more gruesome in places.  But let’s face it, Collins is a compelling story teller.  

One of the themes that interested me in all three books was Katniss’ self-loathing for having caused the deaths of so many people.  She was also unable to accept acts of love and grace because they caused her to feel unhappily beholden to those who gave sacrificially to her.  I was disappointed that these ideas were not dealt with more clearly in the resolution.  

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Carolyn McCormick who did an outstanding job.

2 comments:

Petra said...

Suzanne Collins is definitely a talented writer, even if she fails to explore many of the themes she raises in her books. To me, that was the greatest disappointment--not the unwarranted love triangle. Her books deal with political oppression, the morality and repercussions of war, and so much more, but the plot tends to take precedence over ideas. I am impressed, however, that her story really seems to warrant a trilogy. Each book seems so distinct to me in tone, style, and theme. The second book didn't fall into the slump typical of sequels.

I really love her Overlander series, too. She addresses some of the same issues, which is remarkable considering they're for younger children.

Jeff Rivera said...

I agree with you in your review of Mockingjay. I was left disappointed and dissatisfied, for many of the same reasons as you. I thoroughly enjoyed your book reviews, and I look forward to reading more!