Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Kindle and Your Public Library

Although I love the convenience of Kindle for travel and enjoy all the free public domain books, I still read more physical books than Kindle titles.  I have discovered, however, another reason to really like my e-reader.  Just before leaving the U.S., I heard that I could check out Kindle books from my library.  I don’t read many modern books because I deplore the immorality and bad writing, but I took a look at the selection and was pleased to see that Max Hasting’s newest book, Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945, was available.

Within minutes I was able to begin reading this extensive overview of WWII.  The dictionary that is built into the reading device became invaluable as Hasting uses many military and British terms (boffin, wiseacre, shambolic, chivvy, etc.) with which I am unfamiliar.  Also (and this may not be an advantage to some), library books vanish automatically from my Kindle after three weeks so I was motivated to keep reading this 650 page book within that time frame.

The biggest drawback was that maps were unreadable on my early model (5 X 3 ½  screen), but I consider that to be a minor bugaboo in a program that allows me to read new books for no cost.  Now I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll be able to check out e-library books from here in Brazil.

P.S. I read this post six months later and had to laugh.  Now I read 20 Kindle books for every physical book because I haven't found a good source for books in English in our new location.  And, yes, I can still get audiobooks and e-books through my wonderful Michigan library.

No comments: